When can I shoot consumer fireworks?
- The Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office does not regulate when consumer fireworks can be discharged. This is left up to the local authority.
What fireworks are illegal?
- Pursuant to K.S.A. 31-155, bottle rockets are illegal in the state of Kansas
I want to … ?
Make my own fireworks
- You will need to apply for a hobbyist manufacturer permit
Shoot display fireworks
- You will need to apply for a display operator permit
My city doesn’t allow fireworks. Can they do that?
- Yes. The local authority is allowed to be more restrictive then the state.
How can I get a list of permit holders?
- In order to receive a list of permit holders in any of our permit categories we will need a written request. Please document the reason why you are requesting the list. Once we receive your request, assuming it conforms to the Kansas Open Records Act, you will receive a cost estimate and a form that must be signed and notarized. Once this information is received back into our office, you will be given the list.
- In order to receive a list you must sign a document stating that, you do not intend to, and will not: (A) Use any list of names or addresses contained in or derived from the records or information for the purpose of selling or offering for sale any property or service to any person listed or to any person who resides at any address listed; or (B) sell, give or otherwise make available to any person any list of names or addresses contained in or derived from the records or information for the purpose of allowing that person to sell or offer for sale any property or service to any person listed or to any person who resides at any address listed.
How can I get a list of seasonal retailers?
- Permitting for retail stands is left up to the local authorities. You will need to contact them directly.