Household Hazardous Waste

Incidents involving hazardous materials are many and varied. Some are even walk-ins at the fire house. These usually involve some sort of household hazardous waste and can run the whole range of health and environmental hazards.

The local fire department should not accept these materials brought to the station. Instead, they should direct the person to the local household hazardous waste facility.

Remember: by accepting these materials, you assume the liability for the materials and any disposal costs associated with the hazardous waste!

All fire departments should contact their local hazardous waste facility and obtain all appropriate information, including their location, phone number, hours of operation, and items they will or will not accept. Provided below are county contact information for the State of Kansas. If your county or city is not included on this list, please call (785) 296-3401 to be added.

Household Waste that can be hazardous to the environment and or persons must be used and disposed of in a manner consistent with safety for persons and preservation of the environment. Here are a few examples:

  • Auto Products: brake fluid, battery acid de-icer, gasoline, lubricants, etc.
  • Landscape/Yard: fertilizer, pesticides, incesticides, pool cleaning products, etc.
  • Arts & Crafts: adhesive, primer, varnish, glue, etc.
  • Inside the Home: air freshener, bleach, toilet bowl cleaner, ammonia, etc.
  • Personal Care: antiperspirant, hair spray, shampoo, soap, etc.
  • Pet Care: flea & tick control, stain/odor remover, etc.
  • Home Maintenance: paint, stain, putty, etc.
  • Home Office: ink, toner, electronics cleaner, etc.

This is by no means a comprehensive list but a list to get you to start thinking about Household Hazardous Waste you may have around your house and how to treat that waste.

The following link to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Household Hazardous Waste site will provide important additional information.