Jill Bronaugh
Communication Manager
Office of the State Fire Marshal
800 SW Jackson, Suite 104
Topeka, KS 66612-1216
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Press Releases

Kansas Fireworks Act and Bottle Rockets

User Not Found | May 13, 2013

Senate Substitute for House Bill 2167 was signed into law by Governor Brownback on April 17, 2013. This law adds a number of administrative procedures to the Kansas Fireworks Act and relocates bottle rocket provisions that have been elsewhere in statute to the Kansas Fireworks Act. The section of HB 2167 that has generated the most questions to the Office of the State Fire Marshal, however, pertains to the selling of bottle rockets within the state – which had been completely banned since 1978.

What this bill does allow…

Under the new statute, fireworks wholesalers and manufacturers who are licensed by the Office of the State Fire Marshal may now possess, transport, and sell bottle rockets within Kansas to other registered fireworks dealers for resale out-of-state.

The purpose for this provision is that the Kansas fireworks industry has been at a competitive disadvantage with those based in neighboring states. Until now, should a fireworks dealer in Missouri, for example, want to buy bottle rockets from a wholesaler, they would want to conduct their business with wholesalers or manufacturers in states that allow the sale of bottle rockets. This impediment to Kansas-based fireworks dealers negatively impacted the sales for their entire product lines as retailers from other states could purchase all the products they wanted to buy for resale from companies in states other than Kansas.

What HB 2167 does not allow

The sale of bottle rockets to consumers and the use of bottle rockets by consumers in Kansas are still not allowed. Not only does this type of firework have a record of causing personal injury to users and by-standers alike, bottle rockets also present a significant fire hazard. When a bottle rocket detonates, the casing can burn from a few seconds up to a few minutes, causing fires that put property and lives at risk.

Reporting and licensing requirements of HB 2167

The registered seller or manufacturer of bottle rockets is required to notify the OSFM of all certifications for resale of bottle rockets to out-of-state businesses. The bill clarifies that Kansas registration is not required of any persons who purchase and transport bottle rockets for out-of-state resale, and that such persons are required to certify such intent to the seller.

The bill requires those dealers / distributers and manufactures that store bottle rockets in Kansas for the purpose of selling them to out-of-state customers to obtain the appropriate Bottle Rocket permit per statute and regulations.