Press Release Distributed by Kansas Adjutant General
Maj. Gen. David Weishaar, Adjutant General
Kansas Army National Guard
Kansas Air National Guard
Kansas Division of Emergency Management
Kansas Homeland Security
Kansas Civil Air Patrol
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 2, 2021 No. 21-015
The state of Kansas, through the Kansas Division of Emergency Management, has initiated the Sunflower Safe Residential Safe Room Program. This program is designed to provide a rebate for the purchase and installation of a residential safe room for Kansas homeowners.
Kansans may earn a rebate up to $3,500 per home or 75% of the safe room cost, whichever is less. This program is designed to provide a rebate for the purchase and installation of a residential safe room for Kansas homeowners.
“We have been working diligently to get this program up and running,” said Jeanne Bunting, State Hazard Mitigation Officer, “and are incredibly excited to now be able to offer this program to the residents of Kansas!”
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, safe rooms can provide a high degree of protection, based on current knowledge of tornados and hurricanes.
Kansas is offering this rebate program through the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, contingent upon funding, and must comply with all federal grant regulations, including eligibility of properties and other required documentation.
The Sunflower Safe rebate program is currently taking applications for homeowners that reside in Kansas. The deadline for application is June 19, 2021.
To be eligible:
• The safe room must be installed at a primary residence.
• The residence cannot be an apartment complex, duplex, or other multifamily residence.
• Mobile homes are eligible if you own the home and the land it is located on.
• Previously installed safe rooms or safe rooms in the process of being built are not eligible.
• Retrofitting or repairing an existing storm shelter to meet FEMA specifications does not qualify.
• Homes in the floodplain with flood insurance are eligible for an above-ground safe room.
• The safe room must be installed in Kansas.
• You may not build or install the safe room yourself.
Additional information on program eligibility is available in the program handbook. Eligible applicants are randomly selected as funding becomes available and eligibility does not guarantee funding.
The program handbook, FAQs and additional information are available at https://kansastag.gov/KDEM.asp?PageID=4651.
Adjutant General’s Department Phone: 785-646-0092
Public Affairs Office Cell: 785-207-1549
5920 SE Coyote Drive Jane.E.Welch1.email@example.com
Topeka, KS 66619 www.kansastag.gov