The OSFM provides oversite of the fireworks industry in Kansas, including licensing and registration of fireworks wholesales and retailers.
Our office supports and promotes safe design and use of all types of fireworks.
For laws, rules and regulations pertaining to fireworks in Kansas, please visit the Rules & Regulations section.
Tips for Safe Use of Fireworks
Kevin Doel | May 15, 2013
Fireworks Safety Tips
- Always read and follow label instructions.
- Always purchase high quality fireworks from a reliable, legitimate source.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated shooter.”
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Adults should always supervise use of fireworks by older children.
- Always wear eye protection when lighting fireworks.
- Never ignite fireworks indoors. Make sure your outdoor area is safe for firework use.
- Never point or throw fireworks at a person, building, or animal.
- Have a source of water handy, in case of fire.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never attempt to re-light malfunctioning fireworks.
- When lighting fireworks, never position any part of your body over them.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
- Never experiment with homemade fireworks. They are dangerous and illegal.
- Bottle rockets and other skyrockets that are mounted on a stick or wire are illegal.
- It is illegal to shoot fireworks on or under a vehicle, on any public roadway, within 50 feet of a firework stand or where fireworks are stored, and gas stations or any place liquid gas – including propane – is stored.