Challenge: For our second year of this contest we have shaken things up. This year, we’re accepting any form of graphic visualization related to Fire Safety. We’re still requiring that you use data from the Kansas Fire Incident Reporting System (KFIRS) but we also did work for you to give you a great starting place. Instead of just giving you raw records, we compiled numbers from the dataset for you on a variety of topics. You can also look through the 2014 KFIRS Annual Report to get more numbers you can use for your graphic. This is your chance to go behind the scenes of Fire Safety and create your own message for the Public. Can you visualize a fireproof Kansas?
Innovative topics and conclusions are encouraged. This is your chance to go beyond the statistics you’ve seen. Forge your own path into Fire Safety. In addition to $200, $100, and $50 for first, second, and third place respectively, winners may be featured on the OSFM website, receive a certificate, and letter for professional portfolio.
Entries were disqualified last year for not following all the rules so read this page carefully.
- Must be a Kansas resident currently enrolled in a post-secondary education institute. Online classes qualify.
- Grant the Office of the State Fire Marshal royalty-free use, copying, and publication of entries.
- May be asked to provide a copy of a government issued ID.
- Must create something new. No copyright material allowed.
- All entries are blind-judged. Names and schools are hidden of participants.
You may (and are encouraged to) ask for clarification from the KFIRS Program Manager at the Office of the State Fire Marshal via email at email@example.com. We welcome questions about the data and fire safety.